Saturday, March 14, 2015

Happy Birthday Momma

I've been dreading this day; today Momma would have been 89 years old. The reality is starting to sink in and the tears have been falling much like the rain the last few days. It's strange when you remember someone, you think of the their life in bits and bytes. These are a few of the things that I think of when I remember Momma.

...fresh baked cookies after school, sitting at the sewing machine to make something wonderful to dress me in, turkey and dressing at Thanksgiving and Christmas, fresh coconut cake, going to see her mother every day, flowers from her garden, she bought and gave candy to every kid when they came in with their parents to pay their bill at Arkla, climbing next to her in bed when I was scared, shoes and purses to match every outfit she wore, ear bobs and beads, remembering every family member's birthday and anniversaries with cards, dancing (which she never did until her 50's), her beautiful handwriting, Christmas (oh how she loved Christmas), putting flowers on the graves at the cemetery, teaching me to be independent, music, yard sales, making my Daddy his favorite carrot cake then mailing it to him where ever he was working, yellow roses, loving family forever regardless, fishing, hugs, whistling, Tweed perfume, the color orange, dolls, worrying about her children and grandchildren until the very end...

This is a mini scrapbook I made for one of her birthdays.  She loved getting handmade gifts so it seems appropriate that I share this today!








1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Sending you big hugs--love you, Girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete